How to Make Mason Jar Solar Lights

Posted by Tropical Twister under Articles , Ball Jars & Insulators
[12] Comments

I’ve been enjoying collecting Ball jars and have seen plastic topped mason jar solar lights and came up with this simple way to make my own.

First, gather common canning/mason jars and inexpensive garden solar lights.

(My solar garden lights came from K-Mart and were on sale for $1 each.) Be sure to bring your lids with you when you shop for lights. Some lights are larger (and more expensive) and may not fit your lid. Notice the mason jar lids are two part. If your garden lights fits in the top you’re good to go. If not, like mine, I substituted vintage presto canning jar lids with a smaller carve out.

Take the solar garden light an unscrew the light from the stake. You won’t need the stake. Holding the light against the lid, use removeable type glue, reminds me of silly putty, to hold the light in the jar lid; wedge the glue between the walls of the lid and the light. Screw the lid onto the jar and place in the sun. Be sure to remove plastic tab, if any from the light battery or turn the light to “auto” or “on”.

I plan to use the jars as lights on the path up to our cabin and on the deck railing to provide soft lighting when we’re entertaining. They’d make very romantic wedding decorations.

Tropical Twister

12 Responses to “How to Make Mason Jar Solar Lights”

1. Teresa says, September 16th, 2011 at 11:37 am

Where can I buy the lids with the cut out?

2. Tropical Twister says, September 30th, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I found the lids on eBay. They’re presto lids. Don’t know if they’re currently available. These were “new, old stock”.

3. Pam says, January 30th, 2012 at 11:28 am

Looking at your pictures..trying to figure what diameter measurement is your solar base?? I found a solar light that looks identical to yours but has a copper appearance. It does NOT fit into the mouth of a regular jar! Are you using standard or wide mouth jar?? I actually have a vintage lid, but that is for a standard jar?
    Thanks for any help you can give me…..

4. Tropical Twister says, January 31st, 2012 at 11:30 am

My lights were really cheap (from K-Mart) and smaller than the fancier (and more pricey) lights. Mine are standard size jars. The Presto lids are for a standard, not wide mouth lid.

5. bren says, February 23rd, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Good idea… may I also offer, they can be used in lieu of candles if the power goes out. They are already charged and will last a few hours once it gets dark out; plenty of light unless you stay up late. You can bring them in and set them around the house.

I believe these LED Solar lights also have an off and on switch, so you can save turn them off till later in an emergency.

6. Cam says, October 15th, 2012 at 11:31 am

Hi Tropical Twister. I have found some of the Presto lids but they are very expensive since they are vintage. My question is: Do they need the glass insert that goes in the lid, because I might be able to find the lids without the glass insert cheaper if it is not needed? Thanks in advance for your reply.

7. Sylvee says, October 25th, 2012 at 10:45 pm

This sounds like such a good idea, however I am not quite getting the picture. If it fits does one glue the solar light to the rim of the two part lid? Also, do you know the brand name of the glue? I was thinking silicone glue may also work?
    Thanks!

8. Tropical Twister says, December 2nd, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I used the “silly putty” like adhesive. It can easily be repositioned and fills in gaps. Hot glue or silicone glue might work as well. I used the glue to snug the solar light to the outside rim and keep it center so it would get the most light during the day.

9. Tropical Twister says, December 2nd, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I used the presto lids because I had them. You might try any two part canning lid. Glass not important. You just need to have a screw on rim to attach to the solar light.

10. Mary says, February 22nd, 2013 at 12:15 am

I guess I am not understanding. If using regular lids do you have to cut them out for the solar battery.

11. Tropical Twister says, March 10th, 2013 at 6:04 pm

The lids I used were purchased with the cut-out.

12. Rosemary says, June 17th, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I tried this but used silicone to seal the light to the jar. I got water in the jar everytime it rained. It comes in around the actual square light where it is formed. Took them apart and now just use the way they are so I can drain the water out.